Immigrant Visa Traveler’s Checklist

Traveler’s Checklist


USCIS Immigrant Fee : You need to submit a $220 payment to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) online before you depart for the United States. You must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee online using the USCIS Electronic Immigration System (USCIS ELIS) after you receive your immigrant visa package from the Department of State and before you depart for the United States. You will not receive your Green Card until you have paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee. For additional information, please visit During the payment process you will be asked to provide your Alien Number. This information is written on your visa. (K,IH,SB1, SQ, IR3, IR4 visa holders are exempt from paying USCIS Immigrant Fee.)


  • When you become a “green card” holder/ Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) : You may find advice on a variety of topics including your rights and responsibilities as a “green card” holder/LPR on the USCIS website. The guide for new immigrants can be downloaded from .
  • Social Security Number (SSN) : You need an SSN to work in the United States, to conduct business with a bank or financial institution, to pay your taxes or to be listed as a dependent on a tax return. Please visit for additional information.
  • Income tax obligations : As a “green card” holder you are required to file a United States tax return even if you live abroad. For additional information please visit
  • Selective Service : All male visa applicants aged between 18-25 must register with the United States Selective Service System within 30 days of entry. The registration is for conscription into military service in the case of an emergency mobilization of the armed forces. There is no obligatory military conscription in effect at this time. Please visit for online registry.
  • A child born after the issuance of your immigrant visa who is not a U.S. citizen : They will not need a visa to accompany you within the period of validity of your visa. You must, however, carry a copy and English translation of the child’s birth certificate indicating your name as a parent and you must have a valid passport for the child. At the port of entry, the immigration inspector will initiate the process for issuing a green card to your child. A child who is a U.S. citizen must enter the United States on a valid U.S. passport.

F visa (Family preference) recipients :
If, for any reason, you are unable to use your visa, you are requested to return it to our office. You will retain your current priority date for one year from this date should you wish to apply for another immigrant visa within that period to replace the one you have not used. Failure to return an unused visa may result in unnecessary delay in our issuing a new visa to other qualifying applicants.

K1/K2 (Fiancé/e ) visa recipients :
You must marry within 90 days of arrival in the United States and must thereafter adjust to lawful permanent resident (LPR) status with USCIS. Therefore you should plan to remain in the United States until you do so. During the adjustment period travel restrictions apply to any trip outside the United States. If your departure is absolutely unavoidable prior to adjusting your legal status, please immediately contact your local USCIS office before leaving. For additional information please visit

CR1/ CR2 visa recipients :
If at the time of admission to the United States you will not have celebrated the second anniversary of your marriage, you will be granted conditional permanent residence by an officer of USCIS at the time of your admission to the U.S. You and your spouse need to file an I-751 Form within 90 days of your second anniversary at your local USCIS office to have the conditional basis of your status removed. Otherwise your conditional permanent residence status will be terminated automatically and you will be subject to deportation. For additional information please visit

IR2 visa recipients under 18 years old :
Under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, if you are under the age of 18 at the time of your entry to the United States you will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship. After your entry and your admission for permanent residence, you may take the completed application to any passport agency or any clerk of the court or post office that is authorized to accept such applications. For further information on the passport application process, please consult the Department of State’s website at