First Passport

U.S. passports are issued only to U.S. citizens. Each person, including children, must obtain his or her own passport. In order to apply for a first passport all applicants must appear in person at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy.

If you are applying for a first passport for a child under age 16, please see this page for special requirements. If you are applying for a first passport for a newborn child, please see the section on Reports of Birth Abroad .

Documents Required

If you are a first time applicant, or your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, please complete and submit application Form DS-11 (Click here to download form DS-11).

  • Please do not sign this form until asked to do so at the consular section.
  • If you have an American Social Security number, please complete block number 6 on the form DS-11.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (please see below)
  • Proof of Identity (please see below)
  • One photograph (please see below)
  • Fees (please see below)

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

  • Applicants Born in the United States. Submit the original of a U.S. birth certificate. A birth certificate must include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, date the birth record was filed, and seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records.
  • Applicants Born Outside the United States. Submit Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad, or
  • If You are Claiming Citizenship through Naturalization of Parent(s), submit the original Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your original foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.
  • If you are Claiming Citizenship through Birth Abroad to U.S. Citizen Parent(s): submit the original Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240) or original Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545).
  • You may also submit the original of your foreign birth certificate, your parents’ marriage certificate, proof of citizenship of your parent(s) and affidavit of U.S. citizens parent(s) showing all periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
  • Applicants Claiming Citizenship through the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA): The CCA grants automatic or expeditious naturalization to the minor children of U.S. citizens abroad and went into effect on February 27, 2001. Step-children do not qualify.

For complete information including application forms, please click here Child Citizenship Act of 2000.  Proof of Identity You must establish your identity to the Consular officer’s satisfaction. In order to do so, you may submit documents such as:

  • A government issued document that includes your signature, physical description or photograph;
  • Certificate of Naturalization or of Citizenship;
  • driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s license); or
  • government (Federal, State, Municipal) identification card or pass.

If you cannot prove your identity through documents, you must appear with an identifying witness who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who has known you for at least 2 years. Your witness must prove his or her identity and sign an Affidavit of Identifying Witness (Form DSP-71) before the Consular Officer. You must also submit some identification of your own.


Appointments are made through email only. Please follow the links below to link to schedule an appointment:

We, of course, accept emergency cases without an appointment.  In an emergency, please contact the U.S. Embassy via the main switchboard at +216 71-107-000.  In an after-hours emergency, please call +216 71-107-000, press 0 and ask for the duty officer.


One recent color photograph taken full face, with a white background, measuring 5 cm by 5 cm (2 in x 2 in).

Where to Get Photos

The American Embassy assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the persons or studios whose names appear in the list given below. The names are listed alphabetically and the order in which they appear has no other significance.

31 Avenue Habib Bourguiba
Cite Taieb Mhiri
2045 El Aouina
Tel: 98 384 335 / 21 889 335

3 Rue de Bagdad
Cite Erriadh
2076 Marsa Erriadh
Tel: 98 268 558 / 23 632 440

Rue Abderraghmen Mami
Residence El Ahmadi, SPRIC
La Marsa
Tel: 71 741 257