Change of Legal Name

If you wish your new name to appear on the photo identification page of the passport:

  • You will need to complete a new passport application. The passport renewal fee will be charged for this service.
  • Submit documentary evidence such a court order, marriage or divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. Only originals or certified copies of these documents will be accepted along with your current passport at the time of application.
  • If you wish to change your name on your Social Security card and
    are a U.S. citizen born and residing in Tunisia, apply at the U.S. Embassy and we will forward your application to the Social Security Administration’s regional office in Paris. Or;

Please go to the Social Security Administration (SSA) website for instructions and application forms. We will not be able to give you a status report on your application.