Vital Records

This page is designed to help you locate the vital record documents you need. The Embassy cannot obtain documents on your behalf, and cannot provide translations of documents issued in Tunisia.

Files for many documents issued at our embassies abroad, such as a Consular Report of Birth, or documents dealing with the death of an American, are centrally stored in Washington. We also do not keep any files of Tunisian civil documents, such as records of marriages and divorces in Tunisia. These records are held by the Tunisian government. Other records, such as birth certificates for people born in the U.S., are stored in the state of origin.

Documents that Must Be Ordered from the Department of State in Washington

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad – A document issued by an American embassy or consulate reflecting the facts of a birth abroad of a child acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth through one or both parents. This record, also known as  FS-240, along with the Certification of Birth, DS-1350, are acceptable as proof of birth and U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes.

Please go to the State Department’s web page on consular records for complete details on obtaining a copy of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

  • Report of the Death of an American Citizen – The U.S. consular officer will send the family up to 20 certified copies of the Report of Death at the time the initial report is issued. These are provided at no fee.

Additional copies can be obtained subsequently by contacting:

Department of State
Passport Services, Correspondence Branch
1111 19th Street, N.W., Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20522-1705
Tel: (202) 955-0307

Submit a signed, written request including all pertinent facts along with requester’s return address and telephone number. Effective June 1, 2002, there is a $30 fee for a certified copy of Reports of Death, and a $20 fee for each additional copy provided at the same time. See Federal Register, May 16, 2002, Volume 67, Number 95, Rules and Regulations, Page 34831-34838; 22 CFR 22.1, Item 43 (a) and 43(f). Fees are payable to the Department of State.

Visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs home page on the Internet for further information about obtaining copies of Reports of Death.

Documents that Must Be Obtained from a U.S. State or Local Government

Vital Records are documents such as birth, death or marriage certificates. In the U.S., such records are usually held by state, county or city governments, depending on location. Here is some information to assist you in obtaining copies of such records.

Follow this link for an on-line source of more information about obtaining vital records in the U.S., such as birth certificates.

There are also on-line services that will help you obtain records for a fee. You can also download a booklet (PDF 430 KB) with addresses and contact information for vital records, such as birth, death and marriage certificates, held by all 50 U.S. states.

You will need Acrobat Reader to view this booklet.