Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.
Notarial and Authentication services (legalization of documents) are available to all U.S. passport holders. Foreign nationals with documents destined for use in the United States may also employ this service.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Tunis can provide notarial services for the following types of documents:
- Acknowledgement of Execution – An Acknowledgement of Execution is used for legal agreements, business documents, etc. It is also used when more than two signatures are required on the document but all of the parties who must sign are not present. We can notarize (or acknowledge) only the signatures of those who are present to sign in front of us or appear in front of us and verify that they have signed the document. Fee: $ 50.00*
- Authentication of Signature – An Authentication of Signature is used to authenticate the signature and seal or the position of a Tunisian official who has previously executed, issued, or certified a document so that document executed or issued in Tunisia will be recognized in another jurisdiction. Fee: $ 50.00*
- Administration of Oath – An Administration of Oath is used on documents that require a sworn affidavit. This format can only be used if all persons who are to sign the document are present. Fee: $ 50.00*
When requesting notary services, please bring:
- A valid passport
- The document to be notarized;
- $50.00, or the Tunisian Dinar equivalent for the initial signature/seal;
- Each additional signature/seal provided at the same time in connection with the same transaction will also cost $50 or the Tunisian Dinar equivalent. We can only accept payment in cash, in US dollars or Tunisian Dinars, or by an internationally valid credit card. We do not accept personal checks.
- If your document requires the presence of a witness, please bring these persons at the time of signature. Consular officers and staff may NOT be witnesses for notarial purposes.
- To schedule an appointment, see this page: Appointments for notarial services
What is Authentication?
An authentication is the placing of the consular seal over the seal of a foreign authority whose seal and signature is on file with the American embassy or consulate. A consular authentication in no way attests to the authenticity of the contents of a document but merely to the seal and signature of the issuing authority.
The American Embassy does not make true copies or translations of academic credentials, college transcripts or diplomas.
For more information on notarial and authentication services please refer to the Department of State’s website.