Eligibility and Applying for a CRBA

  1. Eligibility and Applying for a CRBA
  2. Transmitting Citizenship

General Information

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) documents the birth of a United States citizen in a foreign country. It is accepted by all U.S. Government agencies as proof of a child’s U.S. citizenship. Although not technically a birth certificate (which can only be issued by the local jurisdiction), the CRBA can be used in the U.S. in the same way as a birth certificate issued by a city or county registrar’s office. You may apply for a child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA (see note below on scheduling).

Most, but not all, children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport. (Information on acquiring citizenship by birth abroad.)

Please note that Embassy Tunis can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Tunisia and Libya. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication.

Procedure for Applying Online for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Effective July 17, 2023, CRBA applications are now online at U.S. Embassy Tunis. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

  • To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.
  • Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing our checklist of required documents below.
  • Once you complete the online application and submit payment, we will contact you directly by email with your scheduled appointment time. Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.
    Click here if you are unable to submit payment online and follow the steps for information on eCRBA. You should still complete the online application form and upload all required documents.
  • Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application.

In addition, please take note of the following points:

  • If your child qualifies for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you may also apply for a passport for him/her. For details on the requirements for a passport application, please click here. See the note below about scheduling a passport and CRBA interview at the same time.
  • Only one U.S. citizen parent and the child need to come to the Consular Section to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. However, if you are also applying for a passport for your child, the child must be present and both parents must either appear or provide notarized consent for the passport’s issuance. For further information, please visit this page.

Procedure for Scheduling an Appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Once you complete the online application for your CRBA and submit payment, please visit this link and select Tunisia to book your in-person appointment. Click here if you are unable to submit payment online and follow the steps for information on eCRBA.

Do not schedule your appointment before submitting your online application and payment. If you do, you will be instructed to book a new appointment when you appear for the interview.

Note on Scheduling CRBA and Passport(s) at the same time: If you wish to apply for one or more passports for your family at the same time as a CRBA, please select CRBA when scheduling your online appointment. When your CRBA appointment is scheduled, please email TunisACS@state.gov to request additional passport appointments during your CRBA appointment.

All applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and passports require an appointment, with the exception of certain DS-82 passport renewals–see here for more information. New passports take approximately three weeks to arrive in our office. You should apply at least one month in advance of any planned travel to allow time for your new passport to arrive. Please be aware that all U.S. citizens must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

Children born abroad for whom one or both parents are U.S. citizens may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. If the parents meet the legal requirements to transmit citizenship to their child, the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit will issue a CRBA. The parents may also obtain a U.S. passport for the child. For details on the requirements for transmitting citizenship, please click here.

We recommend that you report the birth of your child as soon as possible after birth. It is not normally possible to issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a child who is over the age of 18, but the child may still be documented as a U.S. citizen and issued a passport.

Please note that the previous TunisACSAppointments@state.gov email scheduling system is no longer in use and emails to that inbox are not monitored.

If you have urgent travel (in the next 30 days), please email TunisACS@state.gov explaining the circumstances, indicating your travel dates, and attach a copy of the paid flight itinerary for the child. You will also need to present your itinerary at the time of your interview. Please note that you should not make travel plans to the U.S. for your child until U.S. citizenship has been confirmed through approval of the CRBA.

Required Documents for your online application and interview

Note: You must bring original documents to the interview, even though you must also upload them in the online CRBA application.

You are required to bring the following seven documents with you at the time of your appointment to enter the Embassy:

  1. A completed DS-11 if you are also applying for a passport. Each passport application must include a passport photo complying with our photo specifications. Children applying for a CRBA should use form DS-11 for their passport application. If one or more of the parents cannot come in person, he or she must meet the requirements for providing consent for passport issuance. (Only applicable if applying for passport at the same time as a CRBA.)
  2. The child’s original, certified birth certificate that indicates both parents’ names, if applicable. This certificate must be issued by a governmental issuing authority; a hospital birth record is not acceptable.
  3. Photo IDs for both parents. This may be a passport, driver’s license, or government-issued ID. IDs for both parents are required even if one parent is not attending the appointment.
  4. Proof of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship. This may consist of a U.S. passport, a certificate of naturalization, a certificate of citizenship, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. birth certificate accompanied by a valid photo ID.
  5. The original, or a certified copy, of the parent’s marriage certificate (if applicable).
  6. Printed proof of online payment, OR
    A non-refundable application fee of $100 for the CRBA if you were unable to submit your payment online–click here for instructions if you are unable to submit your online CRBA application payment. The fee will not be refunded even if the Consular Officer determines that your child is not eligible for citizenship. Additional fees apply for each passport for which you are applying. We accept payment in cash or credit card, in US dollars or Tunisian Dinars. We do not accept personal checks.

If you were previously divorced or have changed your name, you will also be asked to provide the following:

  • The original, or certified copies, of divorce decrees from all of the parents’ previous marriages.
  • Evidence of name change. If the name of the parent(s) or the child varies from document to document, you must provide evidence showing the link between the names. This evidence may include a marriage certificate, if your name was changed through marriage, a court order, a name change certificate issued by a government authority, or other evidence showing the use of both names.

The Consular Officer may request additional documents to demonstrate your physical presence or residence in the United States. These can include:

  • School transcripts
  • Medical and/or vaccination records
  • Copies of your school yearbooks
  • Rent or mortgage records in your name or that of your family when you were a minor
  • W2 forms (but not other tax documents)
  • Mail sent to you at an address in the United States
  • Other documents that demonstrate presence in the United States

Applicants should upload of all the required documents listed above into their online CRBA application.

Please do not sign any documents until asked to do so by the Consular Officer.

Note: Documents in a language other than English must be translated into English.  Upload the original(s) and translation(s) to your online application, and bring both the original(s) and the translation(s) to your scheduled appointment.

DNA Examinations

In some instances it is not possible to conclusively determine the U.S. citizenship of a child at birth. In these cases, the Consular Officer may request a DNA exam to establish parentage. This will involve taking saliva samples from the child and the father and/or mother at the Embassy. Please do not conduct independent DNA exams, as only results from Embassy-ordered tests can be used to determine a genetic relationship for citizenship purposes.

Need Help?

We are here to help! For questions or concerns please click here. 

Other Important Information

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here.