The U.S. Embassy in Tunis is pleased to announce the 2022 Study of the United States Institutes (SUSIs) for Scholars programs. These intensive post-graduate academic programs, which include integrated study tours, provide university faculty and other scholars with a deeper understanding of U.S. society, culture, and institutions. SUSI’s goal is to strengthen curricula and enhance the quality of teaching about the United States in academic institutions abroad. The six-week institutes will take place at various colleges and universities throughout the United States beginning June 2022. The 2022 SUSI institute themes are:
- American Culture and Values will examine the ethnic, racial, social, economic, political, and religious contexts, in which cultures have manifested themselves in America while focusing on the ways these cultures have influenced social movements and American identities throughout U.S. history.
- Journalism and Media will examine the role of journalists in recognizing, preventing, and countering disinformation, highlight best practices in journalism and pedagogical strategies for teaching journalism students, and underscore the impact of technology in journalism.
- Religious Freedom and Pluralism will provide a deeper understanding of U.S. society and culture, both past and present, through an examination of religious pluralism and its intersection with American democracy.
- U.S. Economics and Business will provide participants with a deeper understanding of key components and structures of the U.S. economy. Participants will learn about key institutions and stakeholders in the U.S. economy and meet with a diverse range of business leaders and small business owners.
- U.S. Foreign Policy will explore how contemporary U.S. foreign policy is formulated and implemented. The institute will explain the role of key players in U.S. foreign policy, including the executive and legislative branches of government, media, U.S. public, think tanks, non-governmental organizations, and multilateral institutions.
- Workforce Development will examine the role of U.S. educational institutions in preparing Americans with the necessary skills to succeed in business, technology, science, the arts, and other fields. The institute will offer participants research opportunities in conjunction with American peers, to better understand the evolution of work, the changing demand for skills, and the advancements in workforce development through retraining and reskilling.
- Candidates should be highly motivated mid-career professionals and scholars from institutions of higher education or research-focused organizations, typically aged between 30 and 50.
- Candidates must be fluent in English.
- Candidates must be willing to embrace all aspects of campus life, which typically includes shared rooms, bathrooms, and cafeteria meals.
- Candidates are typically holders of at least a graduate degree and must have substantial knowledge of the thematic area of the institute selected.
- Participants must be willing to participate fully in all aspects of the intensive program and should accept that SUSIs are not research programs.
- Ideal candidates will have little or no prior experience in the United States.
- Priority will be given to excellent candidates whose home institutions are seeking to introduce aspects of U.S. studies into their curricula or to develop new courses in the subject of the institute.
- Participants must be Tunisian citizens residing in Tunisia. American citizens or green card holders are not eligible. Immediate family members of U.S. Embassy Tunis employees are ineligible.
Applications must be submitted electronically to TunisExchanges@state.gov by January 7, 2022. Please write “SUSI for Scholars” in the subject line. Please note that late applications will not be submitted, and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Click to download the application form.
The U.S. Embassy is available to help answer questions regarding your application. Please submit your inquiries to TunisExchangesHelp@state.gov. We wish you luck with your SUSI application!