The U.S. Embassy alerts U.S. citizens in Tunisia to ongoing reports of civil disturbances and protests at a number of locations in the country, including in the greater Tunis area. The Government of Tunisia has imposed an 8:00pm to 5:00am curfew across the country until further notice, starting the evening of Friday, January 22, 2016.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to provide updates and guidance as appropriate to events.
In view of these protests, U.S. citizens are reminded they should exercise caution and avoid areas where large gatherings may occur. Even demonstrations or events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should monitor local events, report suspicious activity to the local police, and take appropriate steps to bolster their own security.
Travelers contemplating trips to the interior of the country should assess local conditions and routes when making travel plans. In particular, all travel south of the designated military zone in the south must be coordinated in advance with Tunisian authorities. Also, travel to either border should be avoided if possible given the periodic security incidents along the border regions. For further information, we refer you to the Worldwide Caution,Worldwide Travel Alert, and Tunisia’s current Travel Alert, dated December 29, 2015.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Worldwide Travel Alert, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Tunisia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Tunisia located at North East Zone Berges du Lac, North of Tunis 2045 La Goulette, at +216 71 107 000, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +216 71 107 000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.