Event: Due to heightened tensions in Iraq and the region, the U.S. Embassy in Tunis strongly encourages U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance and practice good situational awareness. While we are not aware of specific, credible threats against U.S. citizens in Tunisia at this time, travelers to and in Tunisia are urged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Actions to take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Monitor the local news.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
The U.S. Embassy is located in Berges du Lac, 1053 Tunis,
Tel: +216 71 107 000, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +216 71 107 000.
For American Citizens Services at the Department of State, call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.