Message for U.S. Citizens: Heat and Crime
Location: Tunisia and Libya
Event: Extreme Heat Events and Increase in Crime
We anticipate additional extreme heat events in Libya and Tunisia throughout the summer. We urge you to plan for how to best take care of yourself during these events, as we anticipate continued water and electrical disruptions.
In addition, we have noted an uptick in economically motivated crimes, including robberies and burglaries, as well as sexual assaults in the capital of Tunis. We remind all American Citizens in Tunisia and Libya to be cautious, maintain a high level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security given an increased risk of crime.
Actions to take for extreme heat:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources.
- Visit http://www.ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness.
- Review the document from the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on preparing for extreme heat. (While some tips are specific to people living in the United States, there are many beneficial ideas that can be applied in any location experiencing extremely hot weather.)
Actions to take to prevent being a victim of crime:
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
Actions to take in general:
- American citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to Tunisia and Libya. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/.
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
The U.S. Embassy is located in Berges du Lac, 1053 Tunis.
Tel: +216 71 107 000, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +216 71 107 000.
For American Citizens Services at the Department of State, call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Department of State – Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444