The IRC organized a memoir writing workshop series with American author Laura Monagan. Participants met once a week for four weeks to learn new literary techniques, discuss examples from great literature, and improve their English skills.
Week 1 : Generating Viable Ideas
- Selecting a viable memory
- Developing the arc of the story
- Establishing the setting: time and place
- Writing a first draft
Week 2: Deepening Description
- Improving character description
- Using dialogue to further the plot
- Engaging the senses and “good tension”
- Writing the second draft
Week 3: Enriching Language
- Using metaphor and simile
- Using American English idioms
- Developing rich vocabulary
- Writing the third draft
Week 4: Polishing the Piece
- Proofreading the piece
- Reading aloud to find lumps, bumps, and one’s “voice”
- Time for grammar, spelling, mechanics
- Final memoir entry
This series was an opportunity for each participant to improve his/her English skills and produce at least one memoir entry that can serve as a model for future writing.
Stay tuned to learn about our upcoming song writing workshops!