U.S. Embassy Tunis – October 20, 2023 – Demonstrations in Tunisia
Event: The press and social media continue to report on planned and spontaneous protests around the country. As a precautionary measure, and in keeping with the recently published worldwide caution, travel by U.S. diplomats outside the greater Tunis area has been temporarily restricted.
We advise you to review your travel plans given the unpredictability of protests, avoid large crowds and demonstrations, and review our website and social media (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) for news on suspension of in-person consular services.
Actions to take:
- Exercise vigilance in areas where protests have occurred.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
The U.S. Embassy is located in Berges du Lac, 1053 Tunis,
Tel: +216 71 107 000, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +216 71 107 000.
For American Citizens Services at the Department of State, call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444